Friday, February 13, 2009

Jeffrey Warnock




Jeffrey Warnock
M.F.A. University of California, Santa Barbara

I had purchased an AIM 88 test kiln over fifteen years ago to use primarily for testing glazes and firing small pieces. I liked the kiln because it fired to cone 10 but also ran off of a standard 115V household outlet which did not require any rewiring. This kiln has been extremely valuable to me over the years I have used it. The kiln is simple to use but it had required me to manually adjust the temperature control which became very time consuming and inefficient. Often times I would need to turn it up at odd times during the day (and sometimes in the middle of the night) which could be very inconvenient.

I visited Leslie Ceramics to replace the kiln with a electronically controlled kiln when John Toki introduced to me the Toki Controller. The Toki Controller could be easily adapted to my existing Aim kiln and had the Orton Cone temperatures and firing schedules preprogrammed into it. I was sold immediately after seeing how easy it was to use. The controller interface was intuitive and I was using it after very little training. I was also interested in the controller after learning that I could add my own ramp and hold times into six different saved programs; this was perfect as I also use my Aim kiln for metal casting ? burning out invested wax using the lost wax casting method. It was exactly what I had hoped for...a controller suited for both disciplines. I only wished I had been using this controller years ago as it has already proved to be an extremely valuable addition to my studio.

___
Honey Purse
Mixed Media: stoneware, resin, leather, brass
7" by 4.5" by 10"

No comments: